Thursday, February 23, 2012

Opposition to Your Rebuilding

Christina is a junior who loves to cook and spin in color guard.




I’ve come across a lot of opposition in my life; whether it is from church, friends, school, family, or elsewhere. But I’ve got to say that the strongest opposition usually comes from me. When I come across something new, fears from within leave me apprehensive, even when it’s something good. This fear feeds on my discouragement and fills me with nerves which make me more fearful and more discouraged which gives me more nerves, and, well, you get the picture. It’s just one long arduous cycle. And the way to stop it? Well you can’t. At least not by yourself. You see, when you fall into a cycle like this, you become so enveloped in the emotion of it all that the only parts you can see are the parts that are keeping you in. And when you finally get to the spot where you can see a way out, you’ve felt this way for so long that removing yourself from the cycle is new and scary enough to spin you further or make its own apprehensive cycle. The good thing is that God created us to be social beings, to desire to help each other and to distaste when others are unhappy. This means that even if you’re not comfortable reaching out for help He’ll send someone to your life that is comfortable reaching out to you. Now be careful, this doesn’t mean that once this person comes you get to forget about everything and the cycle just magically ends. You have to be willing to reach for the hand they give, accept their help, and be willing to work. And this is hard stuff.  To do all this you have to be vulnerable, you have to be open-minded, you have to be willing to help them as well, and you have to be willing to continue working, even when it’s painful, exhausting, and seems pointless. I’m not saying this to discourage you; I’m saying this so you know what’s coming. And I can say from experience that even though this way takes the longest and hurts the worst, it works the best. When you work through opposition this way, you know that once you’re done, you’re done. There’s nothing left to haunt your future, everything is in the open, and you’ll have courage and strength to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment