Friday, April 8, 2011

Spotlight: Chelsea Duff





Hi! My name is Chelsea. :) I am a sophomore elementary education student with an early childhood endorsement and integrated science and language arts minors. I absolutely love working with children; to them, the world is full of endless possibilities and new things to discover. It is up to teachers to keep this passion for learning alive and to reach out to every student on their own level.

I am secretary of Education Club, a member of Phi Sigma Sigma, a part of Forgotten Children of Eastern Europe (FCEE), and a part of Glee Club. In the fall semester, I am a part of the 30 Hour Famine Planning Committee. I work as a tour guide in the admissions office and mentor a seventh grade student through the Alma Middle School Explore Mentor PLUS Program. I also meet with the Alma College Presbyterians Bible Study on Wednesday nights at 7 p.m. Last summer, I participated in the Center for Responsible Leadership Ghost Ranch experience. While in New Mexico, I bonded with a group of other students and learned more about who I am as a leader. This prompted me to get more involved on campus and internationally. After CRL, I became a part of two Alternative Break trips including a winter break to Memphis, TN to work with terminally ill children. In May, I will be going on a spring term to Peru to work in local school systems. In June, I will be going to Ukraine to work in orphanages through a P-Global scholarship and FCEE.

Chapel life has come to mean so much to me. My faith was something that I held very close to me at home and there was a small Presbyterian Church right down the road from me. When I started looking at colleges, I wanted a place with a strong Christian community and optional worship. I found that in our chapel and started attending immediately. To go from a very traditional church to a community of people my own age was a refreshing change. I love the music and the way that the messages always seem to speak directly to me. Most of all, however, I love the supportive community. I have made so many friends through Chapel and the Chaplain and SMCs are there for you if you need anything. My faith has definitely struggled since I have been in college, and I am having a hard time defining who I am and what it means to be a Christian. Sometimes, it's hard to feel God's presence which leaves me feeling lost. At times like those, it is amazing to have the Chapel support system.

Here are my favorite Bible verses:

Your beauty should come from the inside. It should come from the heart. This is the kind that lasts.  1 Peter 3:3

No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made perfect in us.  1 John 4:12

I believe in the power of love and truly think it can change the world. My favorite movie is Beauty and the Beast and I love the symbolism in it:  true beauty comes from within. <3

If you have any more questions or would like to hang out, e-mail me at duff1cm@alma.edu. Thanks for visiting the Chapel blog and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment