Monday, April 4, 2011

Spotlight: Teresa Larson


Hi everybody! My name is Teresa Larson and I'm a sophomore at Alma studying elementary education and working to get an early childhood endoresement...I love working with kids! During the last three summers, I have worked as a councelor at Camp Greenwood, my childhood church camp. I'm going on year 14 up there this summer, and I can't wait to start up again this May!

Not that I don't love being at Alma, though! There are so many things I love about being here...rocking the kilt in marching band, going alternative break trips, being a Phi Sig, spending time with all of my amazing friends I have made, and of course, the opporutnities that I have had to grow my faith!

Chapel has been one of the best things about being at Alma. The first time that I went to chapel was the very first Sunday that I was here as a freshman for band camp and pre-term. I had kind of rough summer with the passing of my grandmother shortly before I came to Alma, and I was really looking for some spiritual guidence and God's direction in my life. After chapel that night, somebody that didn't even know my name or anything about me came up and asked if they could pray for me and help me get back on track with my faith. I knew right away that this was a community of people that would always be there for me, and I could always be there for them. Needless to say, chapel has become a pretty significant part of my college life!

I love all of the things that our Chrsitain commuinty at chapel has been able to do for each other. I have learned a lot about my faith and my relationship with God though things like ACCL and going on chapel retreats, and have even been able to improve my Christain leadership skills by co-leading the Presbyterian Bible Study and even living in chapel-themed housing next year! (Which, by the way is, OFFICALLY 327 Grant St, the little yellow house right across the street from the Heritage Center and the silver parking lot...please come by and visit us lots next year!)

My experience at Alma really wouldn't be the same without chapel and the amazing people I have met through chapel...they are my mentors and friends for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment